Senior Database Architect
Yes Energy – Boston, MA, Boulder, CO or Chicago, IL
As a senior member of the Yes Energy Database team you will contribute to key strategic system plans and implementation as we continue to build best in class database systems to support our growing customer base. You also will help to remove all barriers to development and successful operation of our industry leading analytic tools. This will include researching new, scalable hardware solutions, making recommendations on better practices related to system configuration and performance, implementing improved database architecture, tuning existing process, and generally extending our team's breadth of knowledge as we tackle the typical and not so typical challenges of doing what we do well.
We are looking for a senior person who can come in and hit the ground running. Yes Energy is a mature, successful business with a strong, customer and employee-focused culture. We are all motivated, smart people who enjoy challenge, respect each other and work well in a team-based flat hierarchy.
- Help Yes Energy improve its fault tolerant, highly available, highly performant database system. This includes understanding the OS architecture and the RDBMS architecture to insure optimal performance and high availability; it also includes design and maintenance of disaster recovery and failover solutions;
- Help to manage our entire environment, server maintenance, deployments, monitoring, and SharePlex configuration; assist in RDBMS upgrades and patch application to keep the environment consistent and secure; provide new ideas that help Yes Energy to stay ahead and accomplish its system performance goals;
- Performance design: help to improve Yes Energy’s big data analytics via development of new quantitative analytics that help our trader end-users make better and more timely decisions;
- Learn our powerful, flexible, proprietary market data collection ETL system, and help us to develop it into the future;
- Learn about existing Yes Energy data delivery methods and assist in the development and operation of new mechanisms that better automate and integrate with customer workflows;
- Tuning and efficiency improvement projects - both hardware systems and application;
- Over the long term - participate in greenfield development projects that help Yes Energy grow into new areas of business including new solutions, services, and markets.
- Previous experience operating high availability database architecture based on an Oracle platform on Linux OS. We are looking for a senior professional to help us move to a database system that meets the needs of a growing, and demanding, customer base; Experience includes executing failover and disaster recovery strategies
- Excellent performance tuning skills: SQL optimization, memory configuration, and IO optimization, etc.;
- Database benchmarking experience: ability to monitor and determine database system performance via best practice monitoring and diagnosis tools; and apply that information as a driver to systems maintenance and planning;
- Location in Boston, Boulder or Chicago-- the majority of your work will be in a Yes Energy office (no virtual officing).
- Oracle RAC experience or willingness to learn Oracle RAC or equivalent clustering solution;
- Change Data Capture (CDR) experience or willingness to learn replication using Quest SharePlex;
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn and keep abreast of storage technologies to improve system IO performance;
- PL/SQL experience, including packages, function, procedures, triggers; experience with Oracle types a plus;
- Experience with RMAN;
- Experience with Oracle 11g, standard edition;
- Self-starter and Team player;
- Application and Project Management skills;
- Ability to assist in SQL skills staff development-- with staff at a wide variety of SQL skill levels;
- Willingness to work with remote team members (the database team is in Boston and Boulder); ability to travel to a second Yes Energy office twice a year.